Need To Protect Yourself From A Hard Drive Crash?

Friday, August 1, 2008

Why I Finally Left The Federal Government To Become A Freelancer

After 18 years working with the federal government, I finally decided that it's time to get out of that box. With me putting more time to do some internet marketing and reeling in some pretty good money doing it part time, I decided that I have a better chance to grow with what I'm doing now, so I decided to jump on it.

In the job that I just left, when you have a manager who doesn't trust you, wants to micromanage every single process that you do, make you charge vacation time for taking more than 10 minutes of going to the bathroom or doing a break, make you reorient your desktop PC to the way they want it when it's okay for the others to keep it the way they were, and likes to play head games, you know it's time to go.

For the last 12 years, I've been promised that if I put in 110% working for them, I would get a substantial raise in pay. I was still waiting for that until my last day at work.

After going through that trouble, I finally found the opportunity to pursue and capitalize on it and when I did, it paid more than enough dividends for me to tell them to "Take that job and shove it!!!"

As soon as some people find out, they were asking me the following questions and here are my answers to them.

Question: What are you going to do for a living?
Answer: Work 16 hours a day doing what I really like to do. Stay at home and have a real life. Put a 110% effort on it and kick some ass with it.

Question: What will you do about retirement?
Answer: When I'm 6 feet under the ground (had to borrow this line).

Question: What about your health insurance?
Answer: Ask any of my friends on Facebook and they'll tell you about it.

Question: How much are you going to make in this business?
Answer: Enough to replace my income and get a real life!!!

Question: What if your business doesn't work out?
Answer: If you're an uneducated degree holding tire kicker, you need to learn something about business, marketing, information technology, accounting, finance, and some problem solving. If you know all this, failure is not an option.

Question: Do you have any regrets in doing this?
Answer: My only regret is that I didn't do it any sooner.

As I checked out for the last time, I cleaned out my cubicle of my personal effects, turned in my badge, scraped off the sticker that gets me access on the base, and said farewell to the people I worked with for the last 14 years.

My daughter was real happy about it because I'll be home to spend the rest of the summer with her. However, my wife still needs to get used to this.

As for me, I'm free after serving time in the box for the last 18 years. Yipeeeeee!!!

No comments: