Need To Protect Yourself From A Hard Drive Crash?

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Are You Getting A Disk Boot Failure On Windows XP?

Are you getting something like this message when you boot up your computer in Windows XP:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE" or a similar message and ask you to put a bootable disk.

Aside from doing home business, one of the things I excel is in the field of computers. My college education is based on the use of computers in business, but we'll be discussing the hardware side. Provided that you have the right equipment to resolve this type of problem, you should be able to resolve an issue like the "Disk Boot Failure".

Well three times on three separate occassions, I was getting this message on one of my Windows XP machines.

I fiddled around with it a few times but to no luck.

Then what I did was put in the Windows XP CD with SP2 on the CD-ROM drive and boot it up and used the Recovery Console.

In the recovery console, I performed the following tasks:

  • Make sure that I boot up to C:\WINDOWS and entered the Administrator account password.
  • Assuming that my CD-ROM drive is D:, I did the following commands and I'm on the root directory of my C drive, e.g. "C:\", I performed the following commands
    • copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com (then hit enter)
    • copy d:\i386\ntldr (then hit enter)
    • attrib +R+S+H ntdetect.com (then hit enter)
    • attrib +R+S+H ntldr (then hit enter)
    • exit (then hit enter)
  • Once you hit "exit", your computer should reboot and you'll see the Windows XP Logo as you boot up your computer.
Disclaimer: The above are my suggestions. I don't know how will it work for you, but it worked for me. It may or may not work out for you. You should always have a backup image of your system if you ever have to fall back.

No comments: